Each company of the Sony Group (collectively, "Sony") is willing to build an environment in which the personal information of customers is safely stored, used and handled in line with the intention of customers, as well as gaining the trust of customers, and hopes to continue to provide numerous services, under this environment, which inspire and fulfil the curiosity of each customer.
Under this policy, and in accordance with Sony's philosophy of being honest and fair, Sony has prescribed the following policy on the handling of personal information, and is working to ensure the proper handling of personal information relating to its customers that it collects.
*3This Policy encompasses Sony Corporation and its subsidiaries within Japan.
Handling of Personal Information
- (Definition of Personal Information)
- 1. "Personal information" in this Policy refers to information relating to an individual that includes a name, date of birth, or other description, etc., that could be used to identify a specific individual, or that includes a individual identification code*4. All obtained information relating to customers that does not contain information in itself by which a specific individual could be identified, but which could be used to identify a specific individual by collating it with other information, shall be regarded as "personal information" within the scope that it can be handled in combination with other information.
- (Compliance with Laws)
- 2. When handling personal information, Sony shall comply with the obligations set forth in the Act on the Protection of Personal Information, various other laws and regulations relating to the protection of personal information, guidelines published by the Personal Information Protection Commission and the competent authorities, as well as to this Policy.
- (Use within the Scope of Utilization Purpose)
- 3. Except where the prior consent of the individual has been obtained, or where it is permitted by law, Sony shall handle personal information only within the scope required to achieve the previously specified purpose of use, and shall take measures to achieve this.
- (Acquisition of Personal Information)
- 4. Sony shall endeavour to obtain personal information after expressing in advance the items, purpose of use, and contact point for inquiries, etc., of the personal information to be handled, and after obtaining the consent of the individual. In the event that special care-required personal information such as race and creed, etc., is included in the personal information, except where permitted by law, Sony shall not acquire such personal information without the consent of the individual. When obtaining personal information from a third party, if a legal obligation to check or create records arises when receiving provision from a third party, Sony shall comply with this.
- (Personal Information of Customers Under the Age of 15)
- 5. Sony shall endeavour to comply with all laws and regulations applicable to the collection, storage, and use of personal information relating to customers under the age of 15. In the event of a child having provided personal information to Sony without the consent of their parent or guardian, we ask that a parent or guardian contacts us at the address specified in this Policy.
- (Security Control Action)
- 6. Sony shall endeavour to keep the content of personal information accurate, complete, and up to date within the scope of the purpose of use, shall take the necessary and appropriate secure management measures in accordance with technological standards at that point in time in order to prevent unauthorised access, leakage, tampering, loss, or damage, etc., and shall make corrections as necessary.
- (Supervision Over a Trustee)
- 7. Sony, within the scope required for the achievement of the purpose of use, may entrust the handling of personal information to another Sony Group company or a third party. In such a case, the appropriate secure management measures shall be taken under the Sony Group common information security policy. In addition, with regard to the contracting of business to a third party, efforts shall be made to ensure that secure management is performed as strictly as possible in relation to the handling of personal information, such as through the execution of a contract. If a third party in a foreign country is contracted to perform business, and a legal obligation to create records arises, Sony shall comply with this.
- (Third Party Provision)
- 8. Except where permitted by law, Sony shall not provide personal information to a third party without obtaining the consent of the individual. If personal information is provided to a third party, and a legal obligation to create records arises at the time of such third party provision, Sony shall comply with this.
- (Respond to a Demand etc. for Disclosure etc.)
- 9. Sony shall respond appropriately to requests for the disclosure, amendment, ceasing of use (for introducing products and services, etc.), and deletion of personal information, as well as other comments and inquiries regarding the handling of personal information, based on the provisions of laws and regulations. Please contact the address of the company to which you provided information for assistance.
- (Strengthening of Systems, Training, Etc.)
- 10. To ensure the appropriate handling of personal information, Sony shall endeavour to continually strengthen and improve internal systems, including reviewing this Policy, by appointing a manager for personal information, establishing internal regulations, training officers and employees, and implementing the appropriate internal audits, etc.
*4Individual Identification Code
(a) base sequence constituting Deoxyribonucleic Acid (alias DNA) taken from a cell;
(b) appearance decided by facial bone structure and skin color as well as the position and shape of eyes, nose, mouth or other facial elements;
(c) a linear pattern formed by an iris' surface undulation;
(d) vocal cords' vibration, glottis' closing motion as well as the shape of vocal tract and its change when uttering;
(e) bodily posture and both arms' movements, step size and other physical appearance when walking;
(f) Intravenous shape decided by the junctions and endpoints of veins lying under the skin of the inner or outer surface of hands or fingers;
(g) a finger or palm print.
(ii) Number of passport set forth in Article 6, paragraph (1), item (i) of the Passport Act (Act No. 267 of 1951)
(iii) Basic pension number set forth in Article 14 of the National Pension Act (Act No. 141 of 1959)
(iv) Number of a driver's license set forth in Article 93, paragraph (1), item (i) of the Road Traffic Act (Act No. 105 of 1960)
(v) Resident record code set forth in Article 7, item (xiii) of the Basic Resident Registration Act (Act No. 81 of 1967)
(vi) Individual number set forth in Article 2, paragraph (5) of the Act on the Use of Numbers to Identify a Specific Individual in the Administrative Procedure (Act No. 27 of 2013)
(vii) Those character, letter, number, symbol or other codes prescribed by rules of the Personal Information Protection Commission which are stated on a certificate set forth in the following in a way to give each person who receives its issuance a different one.
(a) A health insurance card under Article 9, paragraph (2) of the National Health Insurance Act (Act No. 192 of 1958);
(b) An insured person's certificate under Article 54, paragraph (3) of the Act on Assurance of Medical Care for Elderly People (Act No. 80 of 1982)
(c) An insured person's certificate under Article 12, paragraph (3) of the Long-Term Care Insurance Act (Act No. 123 of 1997)
(viii) Any other character, letter, number, symbol or other codes prescribed by rules of the Personal Information Protection Commission as equivalent to each preceding item.
Notice Regarding Disclosures Based on Act on the Protection of Personal Information
Under the Act on the Protection of Personal Information (hereinafter the “Act”), Nextorage Corporation is required to disclose to the public, or make easily available to the individual concerned, certain matters including the purpose of use regarding personal information obtained by the Company, which is a personal information handling business operator. The Company is providing information as follows regarding matters stated in 1 to 2 below.
Information obtained: Described in paragraph 1 of I and II below.
Purpose of use: The purpose of use of personal information when it is obtained (related to paragraph (1), Article 18 of the Act) and the purpose of use of retained personal data (related to paragraph (1), Article 27 of the Act) (hereinafter collectively the “purpose of use”). Described in I-2 and II-3 below.
Joint users of personal information and contractors handling personal information (hereinafter “personal information recipients”): Joint users are described in II-2 below. When a contractor is involved with regard to any item in I and II, this will be stated.
Contact for inquiries: “[W]here to lodge a complaint about the handling of retained personal data” as stipulated in Article 5 of the Cabinet Order to Enforce the Act on the Protection of Personal Information. Described in paragraph 4 of I and II below.
Procedures for responding to requests for disclosure, etc.: Procedures for responding to inquiries about the notification of purpose of use (related to paragraph (2), Article 27 of the Act), disclosure (related to paragraph (2), Article 28 of the Act), corrections, etc. (related to paragraph (2), Article 29 of the Act), suspension of use, etc. (related to paragraph (2), Article 30 of the Act), and suspension of provision to a third party (related to paragraph (4), Article 30 of the Act) (hereinafter collectively “requests for disclosure, etc.”) regarding retained personal data. Described in paragraph 4 of I and II below.
- I. Business activities regarding manufactured products
- I-1. Information obtained
- Names, addresses, phone numbers (including information obtained about a customer specified by another person as a recipient of a gift), date of birth, gender, occupation, employer, email address, credit/debit card information, contents and history of feedback/inquiries, and other information obtained in connection with the provision of services (including purchase history and television/online content viewing history)
- I-2. Purpose of use
- Business activities related to memory media handled by Nextorage Corporation, newly developed products manufactured by the Company, and services
- I-3. Personal information recipients
- Shared users are described in II-2 below. For the purpose of use stated in I-2 above, some information may be shared with contractors.
- I-4. Contact for inquiries and procedures for responding to requests for disclosure, etc.
- Please make inquiries by telephone at the following contact.
Nextorage Corporation Contact for requesting disclosure, etc., of personal information
Address: 3-3-1 Tsujido-shinmachi, Fujisawa-shi, Kanagawa 251-0042
Hours: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday * Excluding national holidays and New Year holidays
- II. Matters regarding joint use (related to item (iii), paragraph (5), Article 23 of the Act)
- Item (iii), paragraph (5), Article 23 of the Act stipulates that, as an exception to third party provision, in cases where personal data (excluding special care-required personal information) jointly used with a specific person is provided to said specific person, if the individual to whom the information pertains can easily know this fact and certain matters, said specific person does not fall under a “third party” as in third party provision, and personal data may be provided to the joint user without obtaining the prior consent of the individual to whom the information pertains. In connection with this provision, the Company may jointly use personal data obtained in accordance with the following matters.
- II-1. Items of personal data jointly used
- Communication made at customer contact regarding products manufactured and handled by Nextorage Corporation (includes all forms of communication, whether made by the inquiry form on the Company’s website or by telephone, as well as requests for a business meeting), personal data provided through customer registration (history of inquiries, name, address, phone number, email address, other contact information, model and serial number of product owned, purchase and service usage history, etc.), and information collected regarding items I to III above.
- II-2. Scope of joint users
- Electronics affiliates of the Company
- II-3. Purpose of use of users
The following business activities related to the products manufactured and handled by Nextorage Corporation
I. Responding to requests for advice and other inquiries made at the contact
II. Sales of products and provision of related services
III. Provision of customer support including product warranty and repair
IV. Reference for product development and service improvement
V. Advertising and sales promotion activities (including usage for the purpose of information analysis and marketing; notices regarding products, services, exhibitions, and events may be provided via email, direct mail, etc.)
- II-4. Person responsible for the management of personal data
- Nextorage Corporation
Nextorage Corporation Web Site: Terms and Conditions
This web site is owned, operated and maintained by or for Nextorage Corporation ("Nextorage ").
Please read these terms and conditions of use ("Terms and Conditions") carefully before accessing and browsing this web site ("Web Site"). You can use this web site only if you agree to and accept the Terms and Conditions without limitation or reservation.
Nextorage may, at its sole and exclusive discretion, change, alter, modify, add, and/or remove portions of the Terms and Conditions at any time by updating the contents of this page. So you are requested to visit this page and check the then effective Terms and Conditions periodically.
This Web Site is linked to other web sites, also operated by Nextorage or its affiliates ("Nextorage Site"). In addition to the Terms and Conditions, use of each Nextorage Site shall also be subject to the terms and conditions particular to such Nextorage Site. In the event that any of the terms, conditions, and notices contained in the Terms and Conditions conflict with the terms and conditions particular to such Nextorage Site, then the terms and conditions particular to such Nextorage Site shall prevail and govern such Nextorage Site.
- About this Site
- “Nextorage Global” (www.nextorage.net/english), is a managed by Nextorage intended to distribute information regarding the Nextorage worldwide.
- LIMITATION OF USE
- All materials on this Web Site is protected by copyright laws, and other applicable laws of each country throughout the world, and treaty provisions. Except for personal, non-commercial internal use, you are prohibited to use (including, without limitation, coping, modifying, reproducing in whole or in part, uploading, transmitting, distributing, licensing, selling and publishing) any of the materials, without obtaining Nextorage 's prior written permission.
Each software that is made available from this Web Site ("Software") is the copyrighted work of the respective owners and is protected by copyright laws and other applicable laws of each country throughout the world, and treaty provisions. Use of the Software is subject to the terms and conditions of each end-user license agreement between the owner of such Software and end-user thereof.
The trademark " Nextorage " and any other product names, service names or logos of Nextorage used, quoted and/or referenced in this Web Site are trademarks or registered trademarks of Nextorage or any of its affiliates. Other product names and/or company names used in the Web Site may be protected as their trademarks and/or trade names.
- PROHIBITED CONDUCT
- Please refrain from using this Web Site for any of the following acts:
- (1) Infringing the legal rights (including the rights of privacy and publicity) of others
- (2) Causing any damage or disadvantage to others
- (3) Disturbing public order
- (4) Criminal act
- (5) Uploading or distributing any third parties' private information without obtaining approval from such third parties
- (6) Using this Web Site for any commercial purpose.
- (7) Defaming, disgracing or libeling others
- (8) Uploading files that contain viruses, corrupted files that may damage the operation of others' computers.
- (9) Any other activities that are unlawful or prohibited by any applicable laws.
- (10) Any other activities that Nextorage deems inappropriate.
- LINKS TO NON- Nextorage SITES
- The third parties' web sites (other than Nextorage Site) linked to or from this Web Site ("Linked Sites") are independently operated and maintained by such third parties and are not under the control and/or supervision of Nextorage. Use of the Linked Site shall be subject to the terms and conditions stipulated by the operator of each Linked Site. Nextorage would not be responsible for any loss or damage, however caused, in connection with the use of any Linked Site and your access to any of the Linked Sites shall be at your own risk.
Nothing contained in this Web Site shall be interpreted as a recommendation and/or endorsement by Nextorage of the contents of the Linked Sites and any products and/or services appeared on and/or provided through such Linked Sites. Nothing contained herein shall be deemed to constitute a partnership or the like between the operators of the Linked Sites and Nextorage.
- PROPOSAL AND OFFER
- Nextorage and any of its affiliates have the policy not to accept, from the third parties, any proposal and/or offer for our products and/or services, including, without limitation, ideas for new or improved products, technologies, designs, processes, software, promotions, advertisements and marketing plans in order to avoid any possible future confusion between such proposal and/or offer from the third parties and our own. So you are requested not to send any information which may contain your ideas, artwork, inventions, developments, suggestions or other works ("Idea").
Despite the foregoing request, if you send your Idea to our attention, then such Idea will be treated upon the understanding that you agreed to the following terms:
- 1.Nextorage has no obligation to treat the Idea as a confidential information.
- 2.Nextorage has no obligation to study, evaluate or adopt the Idea.
- 3.Even if Nextorage happens to adopt any idea identical or similar in whole or in part to the Idea, Nextorage has no responsibility and shall not be liable for any compensation therefor.
- DISCLAIMERS OF WARRANTIES
- Except to the extent prohibited by applicable laws, Nextorage and/or any of its affiliates make no representation and warranty, either express or implied, statutory or otherwise, including warranties or representations with respect to the accuracy, reliability, completeness, fitness for particular purpose, non-infringement of third parties rights and/or safety of the contents of this Web Site, and any representations and warranties relating thereto are expressly disclaimed.
Nextorage and/or any of its affiliates shall not be liable for any loss or damage arising out of your use or access, or inability to use or access, the Web Site.
Nextorage may change and/or alter the contents of this Web Site, or may suspend or discontinue the services provided through this Web Site at any time without any prior notice. Nextorage or any of its affiliates shall not be liable for any damages arising out of any alteration or change of the contents or inability to use this Web Site.
- APPLICABLE LAWS AND JURISDICTION
- This Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Japan unless otherwise expressly provided. All controversies and disputes arising out of or relating to this Terms and Conditions shall be submitted to the Tokyo District Court in Tokyo, Japan as the Court of first instance.